The Great Western Hospital (GWH) is a single site Foundation Trust located in Swindon, Wiltshire. Following a board meeting of the GWH, a decision was made to implement a Liftshare scheme for its 4,000 staff. The scheme proposed to ease the pressure on the oversubscribed car park by encouraging workers to car share or find alternative transport to use during the commute to and from work.
Having investigated their options for providers, GWH chose Liftshare based on the positive feedback from their current customer base (which includes a great number of NHS organisations), it’s easy to use software and
support model for clients.
To encourage individuals to sign up to the Liftshare scheme, radical changes to parking were implemented. Before the car-sharing scheme was initiated 3,600 staff had parking permits, but there were only 1,800 spaces. Parking costs a mere £5 per month and was largely unrestricted. Usage was split as roughly two-thirds for patients, one third staff. A tough and controversial decision was taken by the hospital to implement drastic changes. Fees for parking were hiked up to £1 per day, and staff were restricted to parking six days in a fortnight, except weekends, unless there were special circumstances. All other times staff were encouraged to share cars or make their way to the hospital in other ways. These moves freed up an average of 250 extra spaces for patients every day.
- Over 30% of staff have registered and parking pressures have eased
- Additional 250 spaces freed up per day for patients
- Enhances the business’ ethos of encouraging a healthy and balanced lifestyle amongst staff
- Enables employees to network, meet new colleagues and make new friends
- Saves employees money – cost saving £118,372.80*
- Encourages ‘green thinking’ amongst its workforce
- Reduces single occupancy vehicles on site reducing carbon emissions, pollution & noise
- Saves 265 tonnes of CO2 emissions*
- Saves 1,348,620 miles through car-sharing*
* based on a 12 month forecast from the confirmed journeys through the Liftshare system