Over the years NHS Borders has struggled to manage the demand for parking at its hospital site. With 40% of employees living within a 4 mile radius of the workplace and the remaining staff having limited access to public transport options, car sharing was the best solution to address its parking problems.
In 2011 the hospital introduced a car parking policy which included recruiting the services of Liftshare, experts in sustainable travel and the UK largest car sharing provider. Historically the hospital had managed a car sharing platform in house. The introduction of the Liftshare scheme has seen a positive change in employees travel behaviour , with almost double the number of car sharers registering compared to the in-house system.
Following the advice of Liftshare, the hospital increased the number of dedicated car sharing parking bays to 98. These bays are reserved for sharers until 1:00pm, giving shift workers flexibility. To date, the scheme has seen 300 members register, with 223 of these confirmed as sharing a regular journey.
- Reduces the demand for parking and provides a solution to parking problems
- Enhances the ethos of encouraging a healthy and balanced lifestyle amongst staff
- Enables employees to network, meet new colleagues and make new friends
- Preserves the hospital’s reputation, ensuring growth as a sustainable organisation
- Saves employees money – cost saving £76,773*
- Encourages ‘green thinking’ amongst its workforce
- Reduces the number of single occupancy vehicles travelling to site, whilst lowering carbon emissions, pollution and noise
- Saves 146.19 tonnes of CO2 emissions*
- SAves 743,964 miles through car-sharing*
* based on a 12 month forecast from the confirmed journeys through the Liftshare system