Seagate Technology (Ireland) is accredited to the ISO 14001 standard. Transportation is just one such aspect addressed within the ISO 14001 management system. In an effort to tackle the impact of travel, Seagate began by completing an internal travel planning survey. This established how employees were travelling to work and identified an opportunity to reduce the workforce’s carbon footprint.
Over 400 employees completed the survey and it concluded that 70% of the workforce were travelling in single occupancy vehicles. With limited public transport options in the area, walking, cycling and driving were the most viable means of travel for staff . To meet these constraints a car sharing scheme through Liftshare was introduced; chosen by Seagate for the monitoring capabilities that it could offer. Liftshare’s car sharing scheme enables Seagate to easily obtain reporting information, such as number of employees sharing their journeys, how many miles car sharers are saving, and reductions in CO² emissions. This monitoring information then feeds into the ISO 14001 standard.
Seagate has seen 190 employees signing up to the scheme, and this has been down to the company’s hard work and commitment to marketing to staff . The business has run regular campaigns which have seen an increase in employees signing up; including ‘find your perfect match’ for Valentines Day, and pushing the money saving benefits of car sharing during January.
- Contributes towards environmental and sustainability targets – ISO 14001
- Manages demand for car parking spaces
- Enhances the business’ ethos of encouraging a healthy and balanced lifestyle amongst staff
- Enables employees to network, meet new colleagues and make new friends
- Preserves the business’ reputation, ensuring growth as a sustainable business
- Saves employees money – cost saving £34,153*
- Encourages ‘green thinking’ amongst its workforce
- Reduction in single occupancy vehicles on-site reducing carbon emissions, pollution and noise
- Saves 49.4 tonnes of CO² emissions*
- Miles saved through car-sharing 149,928 miles*
* based on a 12 month forecast from the confirmed journeys through the Liftshare system